As we navigate the uncharted territory of responding to COVID-19, Arrive Ministries continues to prioritize the well-being of our clients and volunteers.
We are taking advisement regarding our response to COVID-19 from our affiliate World Relief, along with Minnesota Department of Health, World Health Organization, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Please feel free to take a break from visiting your refugee friends until this crisis passes.
- If you choose to visit your family, call them beforehand to see if they are still welcoming visitors and to ensure that everyone is feeling well.
- If you end up not meeting face to face with your refugee friends, we encourage you to connect via phone or text to inquire on how they are doing.
Families newer to country may have questions related to the following. We encourage you to share this information with them:
- Minnesota has closed K-12 schools from March 18 – March 27 (some already closed March 16)
- There are several programs and restaurants offering discounted or free meals for children who rely on schools providing meals. Check with your refugee friends to see if they have enough food for the next couple weeks.
- Minnesota Department of Health has released a COVID-19 overview in Arabic, Karen, Russian, Somali and six other languages
- If someone loses work temporarily or longer-term, they may be able to access unemployment benefits
- Share with them CDC’s How to Protect Yourself & Others
- Be a listening ear regarding any questions or concerns they may have
We are postponing our Learn Well to Relate Well seminar scheduled for Saturday, April 4, to a later date, yet to be determined.
We urge you to pray:
- For our refugee friends. Imagine trying to understand what’s happening in your community when English is not your first language. Perhaps this is an opportunity to deepen your relationship.
- For vulnerable people across the globe, and especially for refugees who are expecting to travel soon from a refugee camp to Minnesota. Let’s pray that their hope is not dashed.
- That we may be a witness for Christ in turbulent times, ministering to and sharing with those in need as we experience peace in the Holy Spirit.
Thank you for welcoming our refugee and immigrant neighbors.
Grace and peace to you,
Arrive Ministries staff